myShark    WebMail    Schoology    Canvas     HelpDesk


Admission into the Certificate Programs

Admission to the Third-Year Certificate of Achievement in Teacher Preparation-Elementary Program

To be eligible for admission to the Third-Year Program in Teacher Preparation-Elementary, applicants must meet all of the following requirements:

  1. Earned an associate degree in Teacher Preparation or equivalent.
  2. Cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 for regular admission.
  3. A score of at least 20 on the entrance essay with no individual score below a three.

Special Consideration

An with an associate degree in Teacher Preparation or equivalent may be admitted on a probationary status if he or she has a cumulative GPA of at least 2.50, and has a score of at least 15 on the entrance essay with no individual score below three.

Admission to Entry-Level Certificate of Achievement Programs

High school graduates and GED certificate holders who are not placed into or not interested in a degree program may apply for admission into an entry-level certificate of achievement program.

Admission into the Certificate Programs

Non-credit courses are administered by the State Campuses. When offered, information is disseminated through the radio, TV, and printed notices in various public places. These courses are open to the general public.

Unclassified Students

Unclassified students may register in credit courses for which they have the necessary background and in which space is available. Students without the required prerequisite(s) to a course as listed in the College of Micronesia-FSM Catalog must attain permission of the instructor to enroll in the course. Permission of the division chair may also be required in selected courses or academic disciplines. Ordinarily, unclassified students may register for no more than eight (8) credits in an academic semester.

Completing courses while under unclassified status does not constitute or guarantee admission to any degree program at COM-FSM. However, an unclassified student who has completed twenty-four (24) credits at the College with a minimum grade point average of 2.0 may apply to become regular status as a student seeking an associate degree. This application for degree seeking status must be made to and processed by the Committee on RAR to ensure that the student is officially matriculated into the College. If admitted to regular status, the student may petition the Office of Admissions and Records to consider credits earned as an unclassified student be counted toward the degree.

Former College of Micronesia-FSM degree students may enroll as unclassified students. However, if degree-seeking status is desired, former students should seek formal readmission to degree status at the College since credits earned in unclassified status might not be accepted towards the degree.

Regular application procedures for admission to degree programs apply at all times.
The Policy on Unclassified Students is needed to enable individuals to register at the College of Micronesia-FSM in regular credit courses for academic credit without being admitted to a degree program.

Unclassified students – individuals taking credit courses prior to applying for admission to the College, or students from other universities or colleges taking credit courses at the College of Micronesia-FSM for transfer back to their own institutions, or individuals taking credit courses for personal or professional reasons.

This policy applies to all students.

Leave of Absence

Third-year and degree students may take a leave of absence from the College by: 

  1. Completing the Withdrawal Clearance from COM-FSM Form and submitting it to the Office of Admissions, Records and Retention.
  2. Reading the Leave of Absence policy and signing acknowledgement of the readmission statement (see Section 15 of the Withdrawal Clearance from COM-FSM).
  3. If a RH resident student, formally checking out of the residential hall.
  4. The College is not responsible for transportation expenses for any student taking a leave of absence.


Students who are absent from school for at least an academic year (two semesters and a summer session) must apply for readmission. 

Applications for readmission must be submitted at least one week before the first day of instruction of the semester in which the student plans to return. Applications for readmission are considered on an equal basis with students applying for initial admission to the College. Students are readmitted upon the recommendation of the Committee on RAR.